Art Director / Production Designer
Spherical is hiring an Art Director / Production Designer to set and maintain an aesthetic vision and in-world continuity across a suite of online experiences (including short videos, interactive mapping tools, and games) supporting climate resilience in Los Angeles. This position is located in Los Angeles County as part of a remote team.
Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems. Learn more →
Spherical is building a field kit of open-source tools to support community-driven climate resilience in Los Angeles. Co-designed with community organizers, climate scientists, policymakers, and infrastructure developers, these tools support collaborative dreaming into visions of equitable futures. The field kit includes interactive media for exploring cascading benefits of whole-systems approaches, community mapping and storytelling tools, and a game for sketching scenarios. This unique assemblage of domains and media calls for a diverse team of creative collaborators. We encourage women and people of color to apply.
A sample of prior work for this project:
What You'll Do
- Translate a conceptual strategy and moodboarding into a cohesive production design and art direction
- Generate team alignment on the art direction and its ongoing evolution
- Source artists, including illustrators, visual UI designers and animators, to produce production assets in service of art direction for worldbuilding.
- Oversee the production of art assets for both software applications and videos in line with the art direction
- Oversee the documentation and standardization of artistic guidelines as part of a broader design system
What You Need
- 5+ years of related experience in production design for virtual, animated, and/or cinematic worlds.
- Experience art directing under a diverse range of conceptual domains and aesthetics
- Ability to translate conceptual direction and essence of place (specifically Los Angeles) into a clear aesthetic direction
- Ability to inspire creative work in others
- Strong communication and ability to provide rationale behind artistic decisions
- Desire to collaborate across functions
- Familiarity with (and love for!) diverse places within the Los Angeles basin
We are seeking a resident of Los Angeles for this position as part of a broader remote team.