Spherical is hiring a Cartographic designer to design basemaps and geospatial data visualizations using Mapbox Studio across a series of tools and games supporting climate resilience in Los Angeles. This position is remote.
Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems. Learn more →
Spherical is building a suite of open-source tools to support community-driven climate resilience in Los Angeles. Co-designed with community organizers, climate scientists, policymakers, and infrastructure developers, these tools support collaborative dreaming into visions of equitable futures. The field kit includes interactive media for exploring cascading benefits of whole-systems approaches, community mapping and storytelling tools, and a game for sketching scenarios. This unique assemblage of domains and media calls for a diverse team of creative collaborators. We encourage diverse candidates to apply.
A public prototype of the field kit can be viewed here. A video overview for this project can be viewed below:
What You'll Do
- Create a cartographic and geospatial data visualization design system for a suite of map-based tools and games supporting climate resilience
- Align the cartographic design direction with the broader project design system
- Implement cartographic designs using Mapbox Studio, with consideration for storytelling, aesthetics, and legibility
- Collaborate with development team to implement online maps and geospatial data visualizations
What You Need
- 3+ years of experience designing legible and aesthetic cartographic and geospatial data visualization experiences
- Experience with Mapbox Studio highly preferred
- Ability to communicate rationale and process behind design decisions
- Ability to collaborate with and present to stakeholders to generate alignment
- Please provide a link to your portfolio when applying
Remote (UTC -8 to -4)