Visual / UI Designer
Spherical is hiring a Visual and User Interface designer to design a visual design system for a series of tools and games supporting climate resilience in Los Angeles. This position is remote.
Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems. Learn more →
Spherical is building a suite of open-source tools to support community-driven climate resilience in Los Angeles. Co-designed with community organizers, climate scientists, policymakers, and infrastructure developers, these tools support collaborative dreaming into visions of equitable futures. The field kit includes interactive media for exploring cascading benefits of whole-systems approaches, community mapping and storytelling tools, and a game for sketching scenarios. This unique assemblage of domains and media calls for a diverse team of creative collaborators. We encourage diverse candidates to apply.
A public prototype of the field kit can be viewed here. A video overview for this project can be viewed below:
What You'll Do
- Create and generate internal alignment around a visual design system for a suite of map-based tools and games supporting climate resilience
- Align the visual design direction with a broader world design system incorporating conceptual, artistic, and editorial considerations
- Prototype mockups of the tools based on wireframes from User Experience Design in order to inform the visual design language and support the design evolution of the tools themselves
- Collaborate with engineering to ensure designs incorporate considerations of feasibility, simplicity, and performance
What You Need
- 5+ years of related experience
- Experience with creating user interface elements for digital products, mapping software a plus!
- Experience creating visual style guides
- Experience with visual design software such as Figma or comparable
- Experience with user interface animations and transitions preferred
- Experience with visual design for map-based environments preferred
- Ability to communicate rationale and process behind design decisions
- Ability to collaborate with and present to stakeholders to generate alignment
Remote (UTC -8 to -4)
10-30/week, depending on phase of project