We are seeking a Product Designer to join our remote team on a part-time, contract basis. This role will be integral in collaborating with our research, engineering, and creative teams to design engaging and intuitive user experiences. The focus of this role is on high-fidelity visual design so please share a portfolio that speaks to this experience.
Spherical is a creative technology studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems. In collaboration with ARLA, we are developing an open-source field kit of tools to support community-driven climate resilience in Los Angeles and beyond. Co-designed with community organizers, climate scientists, policymakers, and infrastructure developers, these tools support collaborative dreaming into visions of equitable futures. Learn more →
What You'll Do
- Communicate design concepts and rationales to engineers, stakeholders, and the broader team
- Review and iterate on designs based on feedback, testing, and evolving requirements
- Produce high-fidelity design mockups and collaborate with engineers to bring them to life
- Lead the design, iteration and expansion of our design system including typography, color, iconography and interface components
- Establish visual design standards and principles to aid in design scalability, efficiency, and consistency
- Design interfaces that are accessible to broad audiences and users with disabilities
- Participate in all stages of the software development process from user research to final execution
- Rapidly explore design concepts through low-fidelity sketches or wireframes
- Use research data and metrics to inform design decisions
What You Need
- 3+ years of UI design experience in a professional capacity
- Portfolio of successfully delivered high-fidelity responsive product user interfaces
- Proficiency with Figma, including the maintenance of component systems and interactive prototyping
- Passion and attention to detail and design polish
- Keen eye for type hierarchy, color (specifically as it pertains to web design and accessibility), grid systems and layouts, scale, and balance.
- High level of organizational skills, ability to stay focused on deadlines and handle complexity.
- Experience designing map-based applications or games is a plus
- 16-20 hours per week, as-needed
- 3-6 month initial contract length with potential to grow into a long-term role
- This position will be fully remote (mainland US timezones only)
- Hourly rate to be determined based on experience and location